- 14 dried pitted dates
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra for coating
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Optional Extra: 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- Place dates in a small bowl of water and stand for 30 minutes. Next, remove dates from water and finely dice.
- Using a food processor, combine all ingredients and blend until the mixture develops a smooth consistency.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stand for 15 minutes, allowing for chia seeds to soften.
- Place extra coconut in a shallow dish. Roll mixture into evenly sized balls, then coat with coconut.
Vegan cacao bliss balls can be frozen for up to 1 month, or kept in the fridge for 3 – 5 days in an airtight container.
Note: Crushed peanuts have been added to our ingredient list as an optional extra, however vegans with a nut allergy will find this recipe equally delicious! People allergic to almond meal may wish to supplement with wholemeal flour at a rate of 1:1, and simply sift the flour first.
Preparation time: 15 minutes (not including soaked ingredients).
Serving size: Makes about 12 bliss balls.
About this recipe
Planning ahead is an important part of maintaining a holistic plant based diet. Meal preparation is particularly crucial for vegans on-the-go, who may need healthy plant based snacks during work, school or travel.
Our vegan cacao bliss balls can satisfy a sweet tooth, whilst still providing a reasonable source of omega-3 fats and natural oils. Did you know that chia seeds, when mixed with water, develop a tapioca-like consistency and can be used to replace eggs in many vegan desserts? Bliss!