- 4 x white potatoes (peeled, diced)
- 2 x sweet potatoes (peeled, diced)
- 2 x portabella mushrooms (large, diced)
- 1 x onion (diced)
- 1 x garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 x 400g can lentils
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 x 170g can tomato paste
- 2 x Massel vegetable stock cubes
- 1 tbs thyme
- 5 bay leaves
- 1/2 tspn ground cinnamon
- Vegan cheese (to top)
- Preheat oven to 180C, and prepare a casserole or pie dish by greasing lightly with olive oil spray.
- Boil white potatoes and sweet potatoes, mash, then set aside.
- In a frypan, sauté onion and garlic until golden brown.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stock cubes, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to simmer.
- Add mushrooms, lentils and chickpeas. Bring to boil.
- Sprinkle cinnamon into sauce, then stand sauce for 15 minutes, allowing to thicken.
- Place sauce into prepared dish, then spread mashed potatoes atop.
- Sprinkle with cheese, and place into oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
About this recipe
This vegan shepherd’s pie offers a classic plant-based twist on a family favourite. Vegans and omnivores alike will enjoy its hearty flavour, whilst the cinnamon provides a surprising richness!
This generous plant-based recipe can be served with crusty vegan bread or steamed green vegetables. Freeze individual portions in an airtight container for up to two months.
Did you know that sweet potatoes are naturally low in starch, high in fibre and have no saturated fat? Sweet potatoes are also packed with vitamins, potassium and calcium, making them a wholesome addition to your next dinner!
Preparation time: 30 minutes.
Serving size: Serves 6.